- Opening Ceremony for the Launching of 2011 to 2012 National Health Accounts [NHA] for Fiji
- First Global Forum of Parliamentatrians as Diabetic Champions
- Fiji Group 90 Swearing in Ceremony Peace Corps Fiji
- Fiji Group 89 – Swearing in Ceremony Peace CORPS/FIJI
- Launch of Motherhood in Childhood: Facing the Challenge of Adolescent Pregnancy
- Bronwyn Carabez of Carabez Alliance
- Pacific Eye Institute/CWM Hospital Eye Centre
- Health Promoting Workplace
- Gandhi Day Celebration
- Children’s Heart Foundation
- International Womens Day
- New Diabetes Eye Care Clinic at Sukuna Ward
- World Food Day Celebrations
- Visitation for Mahaffy Girls Home
- FMA Symposium - Fiji Health Symposium 2010
- World Health Day and Healthy Cities
- Commissioning of the Wainibokasi Mortuary
- JICA and JOCV in Fiji Health Sector
- World AIDS Day
- Fiji Pharmaceutical Society, Natadola
- Farewell of FSN to FNU
- Opening of Inaugral Suva based Civil Servants
- 160 Bicycles from Japan to Fiji
- National NCD Training of Trainers
- Post Grad Dip in Midwifery Inaugural
- Fiji White Ribbon Safe Motherhood Initiative
- National Health Accounts
- National Breastfeeding and Immunisation Wk
- National Health Workshop
- Fiji Food Summit 2009
- Emergency Care Assistant Course
FMA Symposium - Fiji Health Symposium 2010
Distinguished members of the Health profession, Senior Officials of the Ministry of Health, members of the Fiji Medical Association Executive Council, Ladies and Gentlemen, It is indeed a pleasure for me today to officiate and officially open the National Health Symposium 2010.
The National Health Symposium is the first of its kind encompassing the conference of the Fiji Medical Association and also the Allied Health professionals. The theme of this years conference is “Non Communicable Diseases and Cancer” and this is an area of great concern to the Government of Fiji and where my Ministry has placed certain efforts which I will elaborate on.
1. There is a National Strategic Plan for combating Non Communicable Diseases being drafted at the moment. It is hoped that the resolutions of this conference will be taken into consideration once the final draft is written.
2. The Ministry of Health would like to develop the care of cancers in this country and currently we are working on ways to be able to support Oncology Services. The new Cyto - toxic Unit at the CWM Hospital which was built at the cost of $35,000 Fiji dollars will be opened for use by the end of this year. Also there are plans to continue support and training in Medical Oncology and Oncological nursing. Currently there are negotiations within my Ministry and some world class institutions in India at placements for our Health Professionals.
3. There has been an injunction of needed new equipment into our Ministry of Health Institutions and bulk of which have been sent to the 3 Divisional Hospitals. The total cost being estimated at 9.5million Fiji dollars. We hope to also make a substantive influx on new equipment in 2011.
The new Medical and Dental Practitioners Act has made it quite certain that practitioners in this country cannot be registered for life. Opportunities for continuing professional developments such as this will help Medical practitioners to continue to be well versed with changes happening around them in medicine and also being able to clock this in their CPD points for annual registration.
I am pleased to see that Allied Health Professionals have also taken this initiative to be part of this conference.
There are challenges in trying to provide quality health care to this nation. As you might have heard, we have already looked at increasing the fees in non essential health services with a cross recovering plan of up to $10million dollars a year to be used in our Ministry of Health institutions for improving and maintaining our facilities. Nevertheless the Public Sector can only do so much. That is the collective effort of everybody involved in Health both in the Public and private sector to support one another to be able to improve the quality of our nation’s health.
I wish this National Health Symposium a success and I look forward to being part of this conference in the next 2 ½ days as I will also be speaking in it.