Last Updated on 7 months by Publishing Team
The National Health Emergency and Disaster Management Unit (NHED MU) have formally completed its first year of existence in June 2013, since being established in 2012.
The National health and Emergency Disaster Management Unit is headed by a full time officer in the post of National Health Emergency Coordinator and the MOH Headquarters houses an independent and fully functional Emergency Operation Centre (EOC) for use in times of emergency and disaster in Fiji.
The Unit is responsible to ensure that there is excellence for health emergency and disaster preparedness and crisis management that Health facilities are resilient to disasters and the staff capable to respond effectively in times of emergencies and disasters.
To be a centre of excellence for health emergency and disaster preparedness and crisis management.
To provide health leadership in disaster management by using concepts of:
- All hazards approach
- Comprehensive approach (prevention, preparedness, response, recovery)
- All agencies (integrated) approach
- Community risk management
- Outcome Oriented
To continuously improve health emergency and disaster preparedness and crisis management through:
- Policy development and planning
- Risk management
- Logistic support
- Education and training
- Command, control and coordination
Goals and Objectives
- To strengthen and establish the MoH Emergency responses and build capacities and effective disaster response at all levels of health service delivery
- Establish and reinforce emergency health coordination including rapid health assessments
- Provision of technical and normative support to National Authority, UN agencies, NGOs for public interventions
- Define emergency health policy and program priorities in a structured manner
- Assist in the establishment and maintenance of health and nutritional surveillance, producing health intelligence and managing information for health advocacy.
Key Result Areas (KRA)
- Strengthen the MoH Emergency & Disaster Response
- Establish and reinforce emergency health coordination
- Conduct rapid health assessments in times of Emergencies & Disasters
- Define emergency health policy program
- Establish and maintain health & nutritional surveillance, producing health intelligence and managing information for health advocacy
- Providing technical and normative support to national authorities, UN agencies, NGOs for public health interventions
a. The development of “Get Ready, Disasters Happen Campaign” training and rollout.
b. Upgrade of the Emergency Operation Centre with installation of Radio Telephone communication system and commissioning of generator set at Dinem House.
c. Rehabilitation and reconstruction efforts in relation to TC Evan (December 2012) where 45 Health Facilities were damaged, of which 12 received major damages.
d. The launch of “Get Ready, Disasters Happen” on 10th April 2013.
e. Safe Hospital Assessment was completed for Health Facilities from Northern Division.
f. The Fiji Dengue Outbreak led to the activation of The National Health Emergency & Disaster Management Taskforce.
Ministry of Health,
Level 3, Dinem House,
Denim House, Amy Street,
P. O. Box 2223,
Phone: (679) 321 5797
Fax: (679) 330 0140